View the 2018-19 Annual Report for Opera Orlando HERE
2018-19 Annual Report Highlights:
1) Opera Orlando's Opera on the MainStage series at Dr. Phillips Center featured a premiere pairing of Leoncavallo’s Pagliacci and Stravinsky’s Pulcinella in partnership with Phantasmagoria and featuring musicians from the Orlando Philharmonic. The Orlando Sentinel praised the production as “smart, high-energy and highly rewarding.” Opera Orlando was also praised for its original productions of Offenbach’s The Tales of Hoffmann and Humperdinck’s Hansel & Gretel, which rounded out its MainStage series at Dr. Phillips Center.
2) The Opera continued its Opera on the Town series with three original productions: a Youth Company production of Benjamin Britten’s Noye’s Fludde in partnership with St. John Lutheran Church, Howard Middle School, and Jones High School Orchestra; a sold-out site-specific production of Rossini’s The Barber of Seville at Casa Feliz; and a premiere of 6 of VIII at the Orlando International Fringe Festival in partnership with the Helena Collective. This production was awarded Critic’s Choice for Best Musical for the entire festival.
3) The Opera provided an in-school program for Orange County at local high schools and middle schools, bringing an opera preview into the schools, inviting those students to an open dress rehearsal, and then returning for a master class with them.
4) Since the organization’s rebranding from Florida Opera Theatre to Opera Orlando in January 2016, the company has experienced consistently increased revenue and ended its 2018/19 fiscal year with just over $1,037,000 in income and approximately $970,000 in expenses. The company has successfully quadrupled its annual budget in a three-year period while remaining fiscally solvent and in the black.
Company goals for the 2019/20 season and beyond have a threefold focus as follows:
1) Engage, expand, and diversify audiences with captivating, original productions.
2) Maintain fiscal stability and steady growth.
3) Increase contributed income to invest in larger productions and potentially move into a larger venue.
Opera Orlando regularly partners with the following groups:
The Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra - provides musicians for MainStage opera productions, partners on Concerts for Young People series and provides marketing assistance
The Orlando Ballet - provides dancers as appropriate for productions and concerts
Timucua Arts Foundation - provides concert space
Central Florida Community Arts - partners on summer education program for Parramore and Pine Hills district
Broadway United Methodist Church - provides discounted rental space for opera rehearsals, office space, and storage space for costumes
Savannah Voice Festival - co-marketing and co-productions
Walt Disney World - Production support including donated costumes and audio/visual equipment
The Enzian Theater - co-marketing
WUCF - TV and Radio presence
WMFE Radio - Radio underwriting
Orange County Public Schools - education partner for in-School program
Westminster Winter Park - Opera preview events and concerts
The Mayflower - Opera preview events and concerts
Westminster Orlando - Opera preview events and concerts
In the 2017-18 Season Opera Orlando partnered with the following groups:
The Holocaust Memorial Center and Florida Symphony Youth Orchestra - co-presenters for Brundibar
Global Peace Film Festival - co-presenter for One Voice Orlando benefit concert
Osceola County Public Schools - education partner for Zarzuela concert at Osceola Performing Arts Center
In the 2018-19 Season Opera Orlando partnered with the following groups:
Phantasmagoria Orlando - Artistic collaborator for Pagliacci/Pulcinella double bill
Atlantic Center for the Arts - co-presenter and venue for touring production of Hansel & Gretel
Casa Feliz - co-presenter and venue for The Barber of Seville
St John Lutheran Church of Winter Park and Orlando - co-presenter and venue for Noye’s Fludde
Jones High School and Howard Middle School - Artistic Partners for Noye’s Fludde
Vamp - Hair and Make-up supplies
In the 2019-20 Season Opera Orlando will partner with the following groups:
UCF Restores - partner for All is Calm, survey and research lead
Casa Feliz - co-presenter and venue for 6 of VIII
Lake Nona VA Hospital - partner for All is Calm providing free tickets to Veterans
Baldwin Park VA Hospital - partner for All is Calm providing free tickets to Veterans
Folds of Glory - partner for All is Calm providing free tickets to Veterans families
Atlantic Center for the Arts - co-presenter and venue for touring production of Amahl and the Night Visitors
Clermont Performing Arts Center - co-presenter and venue for touring production of Amahl and the Night Visitors
Leu Gardens - partner for The Very Last Green Thing and co-presenter for Earth Day event