Opera Orlando's Youth Company is holding auditions for this season!
- Saturday August 25th starting at 10:00am (by appointment only)
- email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve an appointment time or send questions.
- Prepare 2 songs, one of your choice (with piano accompaniment; a pianist will be provided) and the "Star Spangled Banner" a'capella.
- Both selections should be memorized.
- Arrive early to fill out an application.
- Auditions will be held at Broadway United Methodist Church - 406 E. Amelia St. Orlando, FL 32801.
- November 24th: Youth Chorus for Orlando Philharmonic performance of Home for the Holidays.
- December 8th and 9th: Youth Chorus for Opera Orlando's main stage production of "Hansel and Gretel" at the Pugh Theater in the Dr. Phillips Center.
- March 20th-26th: 5 performances, Youth Chorus for "Il Pagliacci" also at the Dr. Phillips Center.
- May 18th and 19th: Youth Company production of "Noye's Fludde" by Benjamin Britten. All roles are open.
class and rehearsal Times
Mondays: Youth Company Class Time 5:15-6:30; Apprenti Company 6:30-7:45
Saturdays: Master Classes, Company Rehearsals and Performance Classes 10:00-11:30am (may be extended to 1:00 during production rehearsals)
In her lifelong career in the world of opera, Youth Company founder Robin Jensen has put her talents to work in virtually every aspect of the art form. Even still, one pursuit has trumped all others: the opportunity to have a hand in building a powerful future for opera- for both performers and audience.
When the Florida Opera Theatre (now Opera Orlando) approached Robin with the idea to create a program for pre-professional training in 2011, she jumped at the chance.
So was born the Opera Orlando Youth Company. The heralded program has already produced performers for the new millennium while building the character and artistic appreciation of all who have been a part of it.
The program is designed for aspiring young artists who are interested in classical music, opera, and musical theater. Members explore their artistic creativity in a workshop environment and develop their performing powers while practicing and developing healthy vocal habits.
The Opera Orlando Youth Company is currently comprised of two divisions:
Children's Chorus - elementary and middle school age
Apprentice Company - high school age
TUITION: $400 per semester
Class Schedule fall 2018
Monday 5:00-6:15 p.m.--Elementary and Middle School Youth Chorus
Monday 6:15-7:30 p.m.-- High School Apprentice Singers
*Saturday 10:00-11:30 a.m.--Company Class/Master Classes and Rehearsals
*time can extend to 1:00 p.m. for additional rehearsals as needed
Classes are held at Broadway United Methodist Church, 406 E. Amelia St, Orlando, FL 32803
Whether a preteen or a teenager, the Opera Orlando Youth Company member receives training in all aspects of the arts of theater and music. Areas of concentration Include:
- Acting and singing techniques focused on the ability to perform in a natural, realistic style and delivery.
- Understanding and practicing singing text in English and foreign languages.
- Using the voice as a musical instrument, expanding company members’ artistry through creative improvisation and play.
- Performance training to build self confidence and stage experience in preparation for college and other professional performing opportunities.
- Professional crossover: Singers will have an opportunity to work with professional artists from the opera and musical theater genres.
THE WHOLE SINGER
Opera Orlando’s director of education, Robin Jensen, takes a holistic approach to the process of building the world of young singers. The process is designed to include an experience that is rich with the sense of team and community, a quality that is often overlooked in conventional education. Being a part of the Opera Orlando Youth Company instills a profound sense of responsibility, accomplishment, and pride.
Click HERE to read about our Youth Company Staff
There are various performing opportunities for members of the Opera Orlando Youth Company. For the 2017-2018 Season these included "Brundibár," Opera Orlando season opener "La Bohème," Orlando Museum of Art Festival of Trees, "Home for the Holidays" with the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra, IMPROV Opera, and Opera Orlando’s "Amahl and the Night Visitors."
The Opera Orlando Youth Company and Training Programs are made possible in part by the City of Orlando through its Mayor's Matching Grant program